Thursday, February 5, 2009

IDOLS OR NOT? YOU DECIDE !!!!

This may seem silly to some of you but last night I watched Katie Couric's Grammy interviews. She interviewed several people but the ones that I watched were Lil Wayne and Taylor Swift. Such a difference between the two of them. I wanted to comment on Lil Wayne's interview though. Let me start off by saying that he is asked in the interview if he considers himself to be a role model for people and he said that he was not nor had he ever considered himself to be a role model. It is just amazing to me to see how Satan works in our large world today! How is it that a person can have such control over our young people and be such a bad example? I find it really interesting when people in the acting or music industry say that they are not examples to our youth or to anyone - when in reality they are just who are young people look up to. I tried to post a video of the interview but I couldn't get it to work. If you want to watch it you can see it on YouTube. He admits to being a gangsta and says that he does what he wants and answers to no one. He drinks prescription cough medicine and smokes weed all the time. He claims that he likes it and will continue to do it even though he has been arrested several times for drug possession. He is tattooed everywhere and from what I am told by my daughters the teardrop tattoos on his face are for the number of people that he has killed. I have a hard time seeing how we, as a society, can accept things like this and allow him to make millions of dollars when he should probably be in jail. It has just bothered me since I watched this interview because I know that my children and even myself have listened to his music. Some of it is quite catchy and it is easy to see where kids would like it. If you don't like that kind of music then lucky you, but there are examples of this throughout anything in this world. We need to stand up for goodness and not let Satan take ahold of our youth. We should be the role models for our kids and not HOLLYWOOD!

2 comments:

Mary Jane Halterman said...

You are exactly right. I was just discussing this very thing with some friends the other day. There are very few acceptable role models in the athletic world and most certainly not any in Hollywood.

b. said...

I saw this interview too, and I thought that Katie made him seem too important (maybe in the rap world, he is).
I thought he made a good point about people needing to get their own lives and not look to him to show them the way....BUT...we are talking about kids here...KIDS look up to him because he is in their face. They buy his music. That's HOW he became wealthy, that's how he came to be on Katie Couric's show!!! Without that...he'd be back in Louisianna still being a punk. He is ignorant if he really thinks he carries no responsibility for his projection.It's evident he doesn't give a hoot, and yes....you are sooo right...we have to step up our efforts to be the example for our kids.

I'm so sad that my blog feed hasn't been feeding me your posts lately....I must have done something wrong! So, I have some catching up to do!