Wednesday, February 4, 2009

THE CHURCH IS ON FIRE !!!!!!!!

WOW !!!!!!! I awoke this morning to the sound of my daughter Hallie telling me that the Church was on fire and that her ride couldn't take her to Seminary because he had to go fight the fire. I jumped out of bed and told her to go ahead and get ready and that I would take them to Seminary. We meet at the Elementary school every morning to catch her ride and so we went there to pick up the other girls. The school is right by our Church and I couldn't see anything going on. There were no fire trucks or smoke and so we were quite relieved. The girls that Hallie rides with said that their dad got a call this morning that the Church was on fire and so we didn't know what to think! I told them that maybe something over in Logandale was on fire and that we would probably see it when we drove over to the Seminary. When we got over into the valley we could immediately tell that it was the "White Church" (that is what they call it) that was on fire. The whole building was engulfed in flames and the place was full of policemen and firefighters. We couldn't get up close to see it because it is on the main road and they had it blocked off but we were diverted onto another road and had a clear view of the whole building. It was really sad because you could still see the steeple and the front of the building but you could tell that the whole rest of the building was in total flames. We don't attend church in that building but it was a very sad moment that sent chills up and down my spine and I even shed a tear. My children were quite affected by it as well and I could tell in their demeanor. At this time I still do not know the cause of the fire - it could have been faulty equipment or someone could have intentionally done it. I took some pictures but it was still dark and I was too far away. I know that people have had churches burned down before but I have never witnessed it until now and it is kind of a weird feeling. IT IS A SAD DAY!!!!!

1 comment:

chapman family said...

I know how you feel. When I was in the Kirtland ward I was able to help build the first church building in Kirtland and just a few years later we got a call on a Sun. morning us telling us not to come to church because it was on fire. When we got there all that was left was the steeple (it was separate from the building) this fire was intentionally set. This was also the building I was married in and it was no more.